Landlords Gas Safety Certificate
What is a Landlords Gas Safety Certificate or CP12, and why should I have one?
Under the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) (Amendment) Regulations 2018, landlords are required to have all gas appliances and flues in their properties tested and certified by a Gas Safe registered engineer at least once a year.
Gas safety certificates can only be issued by Gas Safe registered engineers, who, as a minimum requirement, have completed at least 3 years as an apprentice with a Gas Safe registered company before becoming fully certified.
At MP Plumbing Services, all our Bristol-based engineers are fully certified and understand the importance of thorough gas safety inspections.
We strive to make the process hassle-free for our clients by liaising directly with their tenants to arrange a convenient date and time to visit the property and carry out the testing. We will then issue the certificate within 28 days of the test’s completion.
A landlord’s gas safety check must also be completed before a new tenant moves into a property and a certificate issued.
The landlords gas safety certificate will contain all past results of the annual gas safety check as well as records of any repairs made.
Some commercial properties hold the tenant responsible for arranging CP12 checks, so it is always best to double check your responsibilities.
What is the difference between a Landlord Gas Safety Certificate or CP12?
In short, the two names refer to the same certificate, and both have the same requirements. CP12 is actually an out-of-date term referring to what used to be the Corgi standard for gas safety standards, however this was replaced in 2009 in the UK by Gas Safe Register, who are now the official registration body.
What is involved when issuing a Gas Safety Certificate?
- All gas appliances within a landlord’s property will be assessed for gas tightness to ensure their safety.
- Our Gas Safe engineer will also check the burner pressure and gas rates against the manufacturer’s appliance information.
- Our engineers will check that the property has all necessary ventilation. Blocked ventilation tubes will cause carbon monoxide to build up within the property, which can cause serious health issues and even death in some circumstances.
- A flue flow test will be carried out by our engineers.
- The effectiveness of stability brackets will be tested where necessary.
- Flame supervision devices will be checked for adequate operation.
- If there is evidence of unsafe appliances, they will be investigated and reported accordingly.
If you are landlord or tenant based in Bristol and are looking for a company that can inspect and certify the gas appliances in your properties, call us today on 07779 303880 or complete our contact form.