Landlords Gas Safety Checks

What is a Landlords Gas Safety Certificate or CP12, and why should I have one?

According to the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998, landlords have a duty of care to their tenants, to have all of their gas appliances and flues inspected and re-certified once every twelve months.

This must be undertaken by a fully trained Gas Safe registered engineer, as it is only they who can issue this certificate. As a minimum, an engineer must have completed three years as an apprentice with a Gas Safe registered company before becoming certified. Our plumbers are all fully-qualified Gas Safe engineers and understand the importance of a thorough inspection.

A Landlords Gas Safety Certificate must be provided to existing tenants within 28 days of the tests’ completion, and to new tenants before they move into the property. The certificate will contain all past results of the annual gas safety check as well as records of any repairs made. Some commercial properties hold the tenant responsible for arranging CP12 checks, so it’s always best to double check your responsibilities.

At MP Plumbing we strive to make this process hassle-free for our clients by liaising directly with their tenants to arrange a convenient date and time to visit the property, carry out the tests and issue the certificate.

What is the difference between a Landlord Gas Safety Certificate or CP12?

In short, the two names are actually both references for the same certificate and both have the same requirements. The CP12 is actually an out-of-date term referring to what used to be the Corgi standard for gas safety standards, however this was replaced in 2009 in the UK by Gas Safe Register, who are now the official registration body.

What is involved when issuing a Gas Safety Certificate?

  • All gas appliances within a landlord’s property will be assessed for gas tightness to ensure their safety.
  • Our Gas Safe engineer will also check the burner pressure and gas rates against the manufacturer’s appliance information.
  • Our engineers will check that the property has all necessary ventilation. Blocked ventilation tubes will cause carbon monoxide to build up within the property, which can cause serious health issues and even death in some circumstances.
  • A flue flow test will be carried out by our engineers.
  • The effectiveness of stability brackets will be tested where necessary.
  • Flame supervision devices will be checked for adequate operation.
  • If there is evidence of unsafe appliances, they will be investigated and reported accordingly.

If you are landlord or tenant based in Bristol and are looking for a company that can inspect and certificate your properties, call us today on 07779 303880.